STEVE KAPLAN'S COMEDY INTENSIVE
The Comedy Intensive is a two-day course that explores the hidden tools and principles of comedy: what it is, how it works, why it works, what’s happening when it’s not working and what you can do to fix it, and offers proven and practical methods and techniques. On Day 1, we explore the Hidden Tools–useable, practical tools that you can apply immediately to your work. Day 2 focuses on character, structure, comic premise and specific ways of applying the tools to text.
The workshop covers includes interactive exercises, solo and group writing activities, as well as a liberal use of clips from current and classic comedies to illustrate our points and principles.
The Art And Science Of Comedy
- Introduction and Overview
- Dying is Easy, Comedy is Hard
- Comedy Perception Test – Are you seeing 20/20?
- Funny vs. Comic – The difference
- The Comedy Equation
The Hidden Tools Of Comedy
- Metaphorical Relationships
- Positive (and Negative) Actions
- Active Emotion
- Straight Line/Wavy Line
- Four Elements of Jokes
- The Tools Applied.
- Learn how to use these essential tools in your work.
- Entire History of Comedy…in 15 minutes.
- Comedy Archetypes
- Comic Premise—The Lie That Tells the Truth
- Developing the Comic Premise
- The Comedy Paradigm
Structure And Development
- The Comic Hero’s Journey
- Art of Romantic Comedy
- Sitcoms & Pilots
- Final Q&A
Registration Fee: Payment in full is required to secure a seat at the seminar, with exception of discounts listed below.
Cancellation Policy: If you cancel 10 days or less from the event date your full fee will be forfeited, but you may apply it to future seminars within one year of your first scheduled seminar. If you cancel more than 10 days prior to the event date then a $75 fee will be retained to cover administrative costs.
Online Registration: Please use the Secure Online Registration to reserve a seat. Space is limited. Early response is necessary to guarantee a seat. Sorry, no refunds.
Check Policy: Business or personal checks and Money Orders in U.S. funds are accepted for the Full Registration Fee but must be RECEIVED AT LEAST ten days prior to the class. NO CHECKS AT THE DOOR except Cashier’s Checks, Certified Checks, Money Orders, and Traveler’s Checks in U.S. funds. U.S. currency also accepted at the door.
Please Also Note:
- No taping or recording of the seminar is allowed.
- A list of local restaurants will be made available at the event.
- Lap tops permitted only if they do not disturb other students.
- Please arrive one hour before the seminar to sign-in and get your materials.
Feature Script Package$1,150.00
Feature Script And Revision Package$2,050.00
Pilot Script Package$700.00
Pilot Script And Revision Package$1,300.00
Play Draft Package$850.00
The Comedy Intensive Online – Feb 25, Mar 4, 11, 18 from 10 am to 12 noon Pacific$275.00